Richard Malcolm

Default alternator charging to high?

I believe that my alternator is over charging. If this is so, I guess
that the regulator is not working right. here's my story. 93 four
winns/omc/ford/king cobra. one new 27 battery beginning of the season
the boat has 2. put in 1750 watt inverter this year. when engine is
running and on battery #2, the invertor reads that it is getting to
much power and shuts off, so I use it without the engine running or
when the switch is set to the other battery. 3 weeks ago the main fuse
(on the engine) popped while I was cruising. the voltage gage on the
dash read that I was chargining way to high until I reset the circuit
breaker. All seemed fine for a few weeks. yesterday, the main breaker
popped twice. I am going to take it to a pro if I can find one who has
the time to look at it. What else should I do or look for. hoping to
learn some as well as get the boat fixed. the boat has 2 gages to read
the batteries. one on the dash and one down below. I know that it
should be tested with external meters, but I do not know what or how,
but want to learn.

thanks