Den73740

Default battery maintenance, old school style

Subject: battery maintenance, old school style
From: (BOEING377)

When they went bad
you'd take the battery
up on the pier, take the caps off and let all the hydrogen vent, empty the
battery of electrolyte (stored in a pail), torch the top till it got soft
enough to pull the case away, then take a hose and blast away all the gunk
between the plates. Put it all back together, put the electrolyte back in,
reseal the tar and use it for another couple of years. We were dumb to do
this, but at least we wore goggles and full raingear to protect ourselves. I

I can see it nowadays, hazmat spill response units, men it gumby suits, spill
booms surrounding the pier, coast guard, epa and local authorities. The
citations would probably weigh what that ol 8D weighed.

Dennis