Terry Spragg

Default Are zap stoppers really needed on alternators?

Ed Price wrote:

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Thanks. I gave up.

w_tom wrote:
Glenn Ashmore has accurately described the problem - load
dump. Depending on standard, load dump on 12 volts can be 60
volts or as high as 270 volts. Two standards are SAE J1455
and ISO 7637-1. As Glenn has accurately described, load dump
can be created by disconnecting a major load from alternator -
such as battery.

Well, pardon me for asking you to address my question. In case you didn't
remember, since it always seems to slip your attention during your posts, I
wanted to know why the suppression is applied to the LOAD side of the
alternator diodes. snip

'Cause the average user won't be able to install a system inside
the alternator case? Further, it don't matter much, 'cause the
1/2 cycle of foreward output overvoltage current sinked via
zapstopper is sufficient to load out all the overvoltage current
generated by the no longer energised field as it collapses?

--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is