Jeff Morris

Default Are zap stoppers really needed on alternators?

You're just a troll.

The cruisers that buy other Xantrex products, like the Link 2000R monitor/regulator are
the people that frequently charge over 60 Amps at a time. If I'm at anchor for an
extended period, I'll likely be running an engine an hour a day, charging at about 85
Amps.

Although many new cruising boats don't have the "Big Red Switch," almost all older boats
have one, just waiting for the mischievous nephew, or helpful brother-in-law to flip. I
know of one case where a friend, and experienced oat owner, had a brain stall and flipped
the switch, killing a GPS and sounder.

"Ed Price" wrote in message news:IGmSa.1006$Ye.415@fed1read02...

"phil" wrote in message
et...
don't be upset, Ed trolls to test your conviction and real understanding.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
The tone of the debate was set by you. I was only responding.

The field coil is a gigantic inductor

And thank YOU, Phil, for your cogent contributions to this discussion.

The definition of a troll is not someone who poses a question which confuses
you. The best trolls usually reply to any reasonable answer with a new set
of conditions which defeat the original answer. If they are fast enough,
they can keep sliding out from under your logical hammer.

I will admit that I'm quite skeptical of the claims of almost any marketer.
When someone tells me that I need their latest gadget to protect a system
that is not known for failure, then the little BS flag starts to wiggle.

At the beginning of this thread, I went to the Xentrex site, and found
market hype, not engineering data. No schematics, no info on joules ratings,
no waveforms of with and without a Zap-stop. It took several exchanges just
to understand what this thing really does.

There are a vast number of auto owners, with alternator systems, who will
NEVER experience 60-amp load dumps. And there are many, many small boat
owners whose electrical systems are close copies of automotive systems, and
they also operate under nearly the same conditions as a car. So that's
another whole cohort that will NEVER see those 60-amp load dumps.

So who does experience these load dump conditions? How often will Glenn, in
his cruiser, be pumping 60 amps back into his battery bank? And for how
long? And with what probability that he will do a trick with the battery
changeover switch during that short period of exposure?

So help me out here, Phil; what class of vessel often sees 60-amp charging
currents? Does that class of vessel usually have switch-twiddling idiots
running the below-decks division?

It seems to me that the Zap-stop is being hyped as needed for everyone with
an alternator, while the conditions of 60-amp load dumps are experienced by
only a small slice of small boat owners.

Or maybe I'm just a troll.

Ed