Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Rare Boating Post

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 20:07:49 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 16:48:42 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 12:54:26 -0500,
wrote:

Back in the 60s the USCG used to take Monomoy surf boats out in crap
like that off Cape May.
That is a 26' double ender with 8 rowers and a coxswain.
It was just a tradition thing. They wanted us to understand what the
sea can do and to build teamwork.
You end up soaked and tired, longing for something with a motor.

It sure makes you appreciate that old 40 footer a lot more when you
get in one of them.

===

That sounds like it would be quite a workout. I had a chance to row
a 6 man, 20 something whaleboat this summer in New Bedford, Mass. It
was around the harbor in flat water but an hour of that was very good
exercise.

It was easier when the crew was all 18 and already had 8 weeks of PT
under their belt. I doubt 9 geezers our age could even drag the boat
down to the water ;-)

I do paddle a kayak around occasionally but I stay close to the house.

===

The guys I rowed with in New Bedford were all over 60 so I fit right
in with the group even though I wasn't doing it 3 or 4 times a week
like they were.