Ed Price

Default Are zap stoppers really needed on alternators?

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Thanks. I gave up.

w_tom wrote:
Glenn Ashmore has accurately described the problem - load
dump. Depending on standard, load dump on 12 volts can be 60
volts or as high as 270 volts. Two standards are SAE J1455
and ISO 7637-1. As Glenn has accurately described, load dump
can be created by disconnecting a major load from alternator -
such as battery.

Well, pardon me for asking you to address my question. In case you didn't
remember, since it always seems to slip your attention during your posts, I
wanted to know why the suppression is applied to the LOAD side of the
alternator diodes. Perhaps you two could stop slapping each others butts
long enough to try to answer that question.

True, there are none so ignorant as those who refuse to learn. Now that
we're even on stupid witticisms, can you try for a technical answer?

Ed