Glenn Ashmore

Default Are zap stoppers really needed on alternators?

Ed Price wrote:

So I looked at the Xantrex site, trying to get some idea of a
Zap-stop's performance. I couldn't find a circuit diagram for how the
Zap-stop is hooked up to the alternator. Xantrex says something
about connection across the rectifiers, but that isn't clear enough
for me. Also, Xantrex doesn't say anything about how fast the
Zap-stop begins to conduct when presented with a voltage excursion.

Does Xantrex have some hard data on their product, or do they just
expect you to trust them?

The Zap Stop connects between the alternator output and ground. It is
just a high voltage diode with a reverse breakdown voltage a bit higher
than the operating voltage of the alternator. When the voltage exceeds
this level the diode starts to conduct instantly shorting it to ground.

The alternator diodes are designed for high amperage at relatively low
voltages. The Zap Stop diode is designed for high voltages but will
only handle high amperage for the few milliseconds it takes for the
regulator to regain control. I don't think it could stand up to
something like a loose sense wire on a high amperage alternator where
the voltage and amp output stays high for any length of time.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com