Keith

Default Are zap stoppers really needed on alternators?

For what they cost, they're good insurance. At least, if you think somebody
will turn the battery switch off while the engine is running.

--

Keith
__
"BOEING377" wrote in message
Are zap stoppers really needed on alternators? These aftermkt devices

claim to
portect alt. diodes against damage from transients. I can't imagine that
engineers at places like Motorola would design alternators that needed

external
aftermarket devices to effectively protect them from transients. I have

never
blown up an alternator from switching it in and out of a load, although

people
say this is often fatal to the diodes. I have run alternators open circuit

(no
load at all) with no problems. Was I just lucky?