Default Yamaha 9.9 outboard runs smooth then sputters

Leanna,
I thought of using the choke too, and tried it last night. It didn't do
any good. But it could be that the carb is gummed up. I'll add that to
my list of things to check.
Thanks!

Leanne wrote:

Thanks everyone! The gas was new last weekend, so I don't think that's
the problem. I'll check the other things when I get back into town
tomorrow.
Thanks again,

Mike,
When you speed up the motor, does applying a little choke let it go to
higher RPM's? I had this problem a couple times as the motor sits on the
pushpit most of the time and what is left in the carburator gums it up. I
always turn the gas off and run it till it quits, but after a few months the
problem is back again.

Leanne