rock_doctor

Default Lead ballast in bow - why?

"rock_doctor" wrote in message
roups.com...
Placing lead in the bow of a boat is a relatively common practice.
Especially with large boats. The lead helps keep the boat sitting level

and
helps it plane easier with smaller engines. I had a 68' Luhrs Sport
fisherman with a 318 Chrysler crown and it had a little over 500lbs of

lead
in the bow. You can remove it but will find the boat will not be as

stable
in rough water and will not plane as easily. I would leave it and if you
are concerned with it moving around then pour some A/B foam around it.

That
stuff is so "sticky" it now use as an adhesive in some applications...

Edit that was a 1968 28ft Luhrs not a 68 ft luhrs... Someplace somebody is
saying, "I did not Luhrs built boats that large".... :-)