JohnM

Default Import Duty on Boats

Thanks Chris
Moving around a bit would fit my plans but getting the boat back to
Australia might be tricky. I suspect the 6 month rule may apply here too.
Thanks for your help

"Chris Newport" wrote in message
On Tuesday 13 July 2004 12:34 pm in rec.boats.cruising John Murfet wrote:

As a resident of Australia, if I travel to USA and purchase a used

yacht
then go on to cruise Europe do I pay import duty when I eventually

return
to Australia? If so how is the value of the boat assessed? It will have
devalued somewhat over the 3 or 4 years.
Hope someone can help.

The European rules are complex, but here is a brief summary:

If you import a boat into the EU you must pay VAT at the appropriate rate.
The current rate in .uk is 17.5%, other countries vary.
(So keep the boat under the USA flag).

If a foreign boat remains in EU waters for 6 months it is deemed to have
been imported and VAT must be paid.
(so spend a few weeks in a non-EU port every 3 or 4 months and be able

prove it)

If you pay VAT you MUST keep the receipt. Without proof that VAT has been
paid you will pay again.

If you export a boat from the EU you can reclaim the VAT on export.
(another reason for keeping the receipt)

The above stuff applies to the boat - not to you. Make sure you have the
appropriate passports and visas for everyone on board and make sure that
you know what is in their baggage. If you are caught smuggling (especially
dope or illegal immigrants) your boat will be confiscated and you will
spend a long time in jail.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently