Richard Kollmann

Default 12v refrigeration hell

Three pieces of bad advice in one post, Rod.

1. On small capillary tube refrigerators the frost level is an
excellent indication that refrigerant level is still OK. It is not the
best way to add refrigerant but it will indicate refrigerant loss.
2. These small air cooled systems are not equipped with low Freon or
low pressure switches.
3. The refrigerant level has nothing to do with Rick's problem, as he
reported it. Putting gauges on one of these very small system, can
compound the problem.

I just submitted an article to one of the boating magazines on how the
lack of knowledge about refrigerants and servicing of boat
refrigerators is costing boat owner's big dollars. I have also opened
a new forum on my web site to provide more current information and
help on boat refrigeration problems.

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message ...
"Rick Itenson" wrote in message
The freon (R12) is good I think
(was frosting up nicely on the weekend).

It frosting up is not a good indication that the Freon level is okay. Many
refrigeration systems include a shut off switch to protect the compressor in
the event that the Freon level is low. I would recommend having someone
test it with the gauges

Rod