MMC

Default Hull Construction

I had a 1963 Chris Craft 35 ft sail boat that had started life at the
Pompano Beach plant and been in sub tropical/tropical salt water ever since
and NEVER had a blister!
If your 80's boat has blisters, I'd say it was from a builder that didn't
learn anything during the seventies.
MMC

"Keith" wrote in message
Folks are probably talking about blistering, etc. I have a 1986 and it has
blistering. However, there are two kinds of fiberglass boats... those with
blisters and those that will have them. You can see them at the haul out

if
they are present. You can not determine % moisture in the hull through
anti-fouling paint. Here are a couple of links about blistering, etc. As
someone else mentioned, look up all you can about the particular hull and
manufacturer you're interested in. In any year, there are really good

hulls
built and there are really junky ones.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm
http://www.marinesurvey.com/yacht/BlisterRepairFail.htm

These sites have a lot of good info. on buying used boats as well.

--

Keith
__
"Shirley Tremblay" wrote in message
ers.com...
We have recently been advised to only consider used boats after 1989 or
thereabouts...apparently due to changes in hull construction techniques.
However, we have seen a 24' 1987 Doral in which we are quite interested.

How significant is this hull construction issue?

If a hull has had anti-fouling material applied, is it still possible to
assess the condition of the hull?