Peggie Hall

Default Fresh water system problem

TSailor wrote:
I zapped my two water tanks with 4 oz of chlorine bleach per 5 gallons of
water capacity per Peggie's book on odors and had a result I can't
explain. Hopefully someone can.

Since I bought my sailboat in 1996 I have had a problem with
the pressure water pump kicking in every couple of minutes.

An air leak in the pump will cause it to lose pressure and cycle...it's
often a sign that the diaphragm and/or pressure valve in the pump is
failing.

After treating the tanks, AND the water heater, the pump did not kick in for
several hours, not until after the heater was turned on. After the water
was hot the pump kicked in every hour +/-.

The presence of a leak is obvious, but why would it get better after
cleaning the system?

Cleaning out the system may have gotten rid of something that was
causing the pump to lose pressure quicker. The pump shouldn't cycle at
all, though...so I suspect it will do so at increasingly shorter
intervals and longer each time till it finally runs continuously without
pumping any water.

--
Peggie