Hoges in WA

Default Import Duty on Boats

"John Murfet" wrote in message
As a resident of Australia, if I travel to USA and purchase a used yacht
then go on to cruise Europe do I pay import duty when I eventually return

Australia? If so how is the value of the boat assessed? It will have
devalued somewhat over the 3 or 4 years.
Hope someone can help.

Go to the Aust Customs home page. You pay 5% of the value. THEN you pay
10% GST (I kid you not).
This set of papers says......, this set of papers says that! As with any
effort to value anything for tax purposes (or duty in this case), you
probably should make it as much in your favour as possible.

--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.