posted to rec.boats.building
Tom Dacon[_6_] Tom Dacon[_6_] is offline

Default Bedding Hardware

I'll second Mark's suggestion to use Dolfinite.

Speaking from 35 years of wooden boat maintenance experience, you want to be
using something that's easily removable. You'll re-bed those fittings over
and over as the years go by. no matter what you use - don't ever think that
you're doing it "for the last time". Something like 5200 is so permanent
that it's nearly impossible to break the bond without doing damage to the
underlying finish if not the wood itself. Dolfinite stays nice and flexible,
both above and below the waterline, and is easy to clean up and easy to
re-bed.

When you assemble the fittings over the bedding compound, you need to be
careful not to squeeze it all out as you tighten things up. If you squeeze
it all back out, you might as well not have put any down there at all.
Tighten it up pretty snug, let it sit for a few days or a week, and then
come back and give the screws another quarter turn or so.

Like Mark, I occasionally use Boatlife too, and it seems to work OK as long
as you don't get crazy and try to use it on deck seams where it's completely
useless.

Tom

"Perry" wrote in message ...

Any recommendations on bedding metal hardware like cleats and stem bands
on painted wood. I have heard besides fastenings that some use silicone
adhesive as well. Any thoughts?

--
Perry