posted to rec.boats.building
Mark Reuten Mark Reuten is offline

Default Bedding Hardware

On Nov 21, 5:51*pm, Perry wrote:
Any recommendations on bedding metal hardware like cleats and stem bands
on painted wood. I have heard besides fastenings that some use silicone
adhesive as well. Any thoughts?

--
Perry

Hi Perry,

The purpose of bedding metal hardware is to protect the wooden
substrate against condensation and trapped moisture and prevent water
incursion through the fastener holes.
The paint itself will take care of the first job up to a point but the
best solution involves using a heavier sticky material. 3M 5200,
Sikaflex 291 and other adhesive polyurethanes work well and may be a
good choice on parts that come under strain such as cleats but on a
wooden boat we often prefer products that are more easily removable.
Consider non-curing products like Boatlife (http://
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ife+Life-Calk+)
which is a polysulfide or an oil based product like Dolfinite (http://
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...t.do?pid=4400).
Household window glazing compound or plumbers putty make reasonable
substitutes for Dolfinite but they may require a little thinning with
linseed oil.
I also know of a few old time shipwrights who have turned to mastics
used in exterior household applications.