Scott Vernon

Default Color-coded lines, paint?

Jim. As an experiment, on my anchor rode I marked 25' intervals by spray
painting different colors. It's held up for 5 years now. I tried tape, but
it didn't last long . For halyard and centerboard marks , I use rigging
tape (white) and black or red tape. For 3 strand dock lines I 'tuck in' a
bit of colored yarn where the line meets the toe rail. I bought new sheets
this year so went with red for the main and blue for the jib.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Peter Bennett wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:07:38 -0500, Jim Cate wrote:

I have a small cruiser with a number of lines led to the cockpit, and I
am thinking of marking them (color coding) to help in identifying the
lines when under sail. Has anyone marked or color-coded their lines, and
if so, what kind of paint or dye would be recommended. I'm considering
using cans of paint spray to mark portions of the lines. - Obviously, I
don't want to damage the lines, and I would like to use something that
would stand up to heat, moisture, etc., over time.

Jim Cate

I think that if you paint the lines with anything, they will become
very stiff, and unpleasant to handle. If you really feel you need to
colour-code your lines, you should replace them with pre-coloured
line, which should be readily available at most marine stores.

What about patterns made with permanent Magic Marker pens? Incidentally,
the interest in color coding isn't so much to identify the lines, but
to permit convenient checks on how much line has been let out. For
example, how deep the dagger board has been extended, or how much to
drop the main halyard for first, second, or third reefing points, or how
much anchor line has been let out.

Jim

Jim