Dan Best

Default Color-coded lines, paint?

On Tricia Jean,
All lines dealing with the jib are some variant of red, staysail lines
are blue and main lines are green.

Halyards are solid color, sheets are white with the appropriate colored
flecks. Topping lift is a different stripped pattern. All rope
clutches are labeled. Reefing lines are on the boom, #1 is green & #2
is red (#3 - white - is not normally rigged). Main halyard is marked at
all 3 reefing positions.

Jim Cate wrote:

Peter Bennett wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:07:38 -0500, Jim Cate wrote:

I have a small cruiser with a number of lines led to the cockpit, and
I am thinking of marking them (color coding) to help in identifying
the lines when under sail. Has anyone marked or color-coded their
lines, and if so, what kind of paint or dye would be recommended. I'm
considering using cans of paint spray to mark portions of the lines.
- Obviously, I don't want to damage the lines, and I would like to
use something that would stand up to heat, moisture, etc., over time.

Jim Cate

I think that if you paint the lines with anything, they will become
very stiff, and unpleasant to handle. If you really feel you need to
colour-code your lines, you should replace them with pre-coloured
line, which should be readily available at most marine stores.

What about patterns made with permanent Magic Marker pens? Incidentally,
the interest in color coding isn't so much to identify the lines, but
to permit convenient checks on how much line has been let out. For
example, how deep the dagger board has been extended, or how much to
drop the main halyard for first, second, or third reefing points, or how
much anchor line has been let out.

Jim

Jim

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979