Karin Conover-Lewis

Default Color-coded lines, paint?

I do exactly that, for exactly the same reason. Sheets are always black,
reefing lines are blue (1st reef) and red (2nd reef). Topping lifts are
white, jib halyard is red (roller furler, usually don't need to raise or
lower) and main halyard is green. My mizzen halyard is white, but it's not
likely to get confused with anything else, and so are my mizzen staysail
halyards. Same for my drifter halyard -- I have to go forward for it anyway,
so no there's no need to colour code it. But I wouldn't ever try to dye or
paint the lines -- I just buy coloured line in bulk. You can get an amazing
variety of line colours these days.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

I have a small cruiser with a number of lines led to the cockpit, and I
am thinking of marking them (color coding) to help in identifying the
lines when under sail. Has anyone marked or color-coded their lines, and
if so, what kind of paint or dye would be recommended. I'm considering
using cans of paint spray to mark portions of the lines. - Obviously, I
don't want to damage the lines, and I would like to use something that
would stand up to heat, moisture, etc., over time.

Jim Cate