Carl

Default 4-Year Plan - Buying Boat and Heading South - Who's Dunnit?

Yeh - we had a great time - leaving again this fall for 10 years in MX
and ?? My point is that some people are prepared but lots aren't and
have problems either before during or after. Biggest problems seem to
be lack of money caused by cruising high on the hog with a group
that's spending $50K a year vs your $15K - you trying to keep up with
their lots of restaurants, bars, rented cars, water toys ... Second -
they ****ed away too many $$$ on gotta haves before they get out there
and see all that you don't gotta have to cruise for 5 years. Third -
people trying to cruise in a high rent area - it's a lot cheaper to
spend a month in one of the Tuamotus than it is in San Diego or Cabo
or La Paz or PV or Sydney or ...

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:01:36 -0400, rhys wrote:

Yes, but did you like your cruise?

R.

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 21:28:20 -0700, Carl wrote:

You need to consider a lot of things - not the least being where you
start, what you leave behind and how you return.

eg. It might be better to buy a boat in Lauderdale - more and cheaper
boats and easier to get to Bahamas

eg. friends left 7 years ago and went cruising - sold their house and
put their stuff in storage - 7 years later it's still in storage at
about $140 per mo - that's like $11700 - for old clothes and
refrigerators and such crap - they go back occasionally but they never
deal with it

eg. we returned from 5 years cruising in 96 - I was 49 - you'd think I
had early Alzheimer's and smallpox - I had lots of experience in major
computer software companies - but had to start low again.

Other issues - can you live on $10K a year - we did but lots can't.
What odd jobs - in MX, Panama, Bahamas - you gonna work for $2 an hour
and tips. What are you gonna do with the boat?

You got a lot of 10 years planning to do for a 4 year holiday.