Carl

Default 4-Year Plan - Buying Boat and Heading South - Who's Dunnit?

You need to consider a lot of things - not the least being where you
start, what you leave behind and how you return.

eg. It might be better to buy a boat in Lauderdale - more and cheaper
boats and easier to get to Bahamas

eg. friends left 7 years ago and went cruising - sold their house and
put their stuff in storage - 7 years later it's still in storage at
about $140 per mo - that's like $11700 - for old clothes and
refrigerators and such crap - they go back occasionally but they never
deal with it

eg. we returned from 5 years cruising in 96 - I was 49 - you'd think I
had early Alzheimer's and smallpox - I had lots of experience in major
computer software companies - but had to start low again.

Other issues - can you live on $10K a year - we did but lots can't.
What odd jobs - in MX, Panama, Bahamas - you gonna work for $2 an hour
and tips. What are you gonna do with the boat?

You got a lot of 10 years planning to do for a 4 year holiday.

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 02:51:00 GMT, "Glenn A. Heslop"
wrote:

All your friend will probably think you're nuts and kind of smile funny when
you tell them. Ours did...maybe it's because we are on the Canadian
prairies and not so much water around here. We have been working for three
years to collect rental homes and get an income ready. We just sold our
home this last week and have an offer in on a vessel. Plan on casting off
the dock-lines in December. NEVER EVER EVER GIVE UP YOUR DREAM! Remember
there will be 'dream-stealers' out there ready to tell you that you are
stupid, it's irresponsible etc. Listen to your dream and find like-minded
people to hang out with. Read lots...keep the dream alive. I can't give
you lots of sailing/cruising advise...but there is what I know!

Go for it!

Glenn.

"Mike & Tricia Kennedy" wrote in message
. com...
My wife and I have just made the decision to tie up our loose ends,
purchase a boat in about 1 year and head south to Mexico in 4 years
(From the Los Angeles area). We have both sailed since childhood but
would appreciate any feedback and advice from anyone who has done a
similar thing. Stopping points, best times to head south (December -
March we're guessing), sailing routes from southen Mexico thru the
canal, into the Gulf of Mexico and onto the Bahamas, etc. Our
ultimate goal is to sail around to the Bahamas and hang our there for
a while. . .maybe heading deeper south after that.

We are planning on having a cruising kitty of around $20,000 and then
do odd jobs as needed. What are some things we should consider before
setting sail?

Mike and Tricia Kennedy