Peggie Hall

Default Holding tank vent - where?

Tom Hunter wrote:
Peggie,

The tank is next to the head which is also on the port side amidships. Its
located underneath a quarter birth. Due to the location of the head and the
configuration below decks this is the only place it could be. The other
option involved moving the head, removing the V births in the bow, sealing
the old through hull, installing a new one and rebuilding some cabinets,
births and the dining table.

Noooo... I've yet to see a boat that would require doing ANY of that
just to install a tank. It would actually be fairly easy to put the tank
under the v-berth, provided it's the right shape...and I'll bet Ronco
Plastics has one that is, 'cuz they have more than 400 shapes and sizes,
over 100 of which non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the
sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.
Top quality and very reasonable prices too. Their catalog of tank
drawings is on their website at http://www.ronco-plastics.com.

If you want to explore your alternatives, email me at
peg(dot)hall(at)sbcglobal(dot)net.

If you're determined to stick with what you have, you can prob'ly get
away with putting the vent fitting right below the toe rail, with a
clamshell over it. Can't promise that'll keep the water out of it if
your decks are awash for any length of time, or that it won't gas
everyone aft of it every time the head is flushed though.

I agree that its not the best place, but sometimes not the best place is the
only place.

There has never been a boat built on which there is ONLY one place to
put a tank...or even ONLY 2 or 3 places. Just one BEST place.

--
Peggie