Lloyd Sumpter

Default West Marine advert

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:31:55 +0000, Q wrote:

To all:

Just read the WM flyer and saw bikes were on sale. At first I
wondered why they were selling bikes (no coffee yet this morning!)?
How may folks here carry a bike onboard? Just the 'mini' type or ones
for longer trips?

OK, I'll post a Story too:

After sailing to Silva Bay in my Venture 22 ("Determination") on Saturday
(Many years ago), it was too windy on Sunday to return, so I left the boat
there, and hitched a ride with some friends in a bigger boat.

Next weekend, I had to get the boat back. After work on Fri, hopped on my
10-speed, rode about 20 miles to the ferry terminal at Horseshoe Bay.
Took the ferry to Naniamo, rode the bike 10 miles to the OTHER ferry
terminal, took the ferry to Gabriola Island. By this time it was dark. I
had a little disposable flashlight for a light, but it soon died. I ended
up cycling across Gabriola Island around midnight, by the light of the
moon.

A VERY surreal ride! I could see the road, but not the condition of it. I
would be riding along, and all of a sudden the bike would start shuddering
- rough road! (Gabriola Island isn't that populated - at midnight I was
the only vehicle on the road).

Finally got to Determination, put the bike in the cockpit and sailed home
the next day.

Since then, I've often thrown the bike on the boat for "ground
transportation" when cruising. Of course, the boat is much bigger and now
I have a mountain bike (ever tried going on a gravel/dirt road with a
10-speed?)

Not as young as I once was, though. A foldable electric scooter might be
nice...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36