rhys

Default Head and Sink Drain

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:59:19 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Horace Brownbag wrote:
The forward head...well, it's approx. 10 feet from the holding tank,
and I don't envision modifying it to put a holding tank within a
reasonable distance to the head....and I'm not sure I want the hassle
from the Coast Guard for having a direct discharge head...even if the
aft head goes into a holding tank, and is the only one used when we
are not out.

Easily solved: put a y-valve in the line so you can flush it directly
overboard...tie-wrap the seacock or the y-valve handle closed when
you're inside the "3 mile limit," and you'll be in 100% compliance with
marine sanitation laws, so the CG won't have any reason to hassle you.

I've done this on my Great Lakes boat with no problem. I have (from
the hull up)

a seacock,
a six inch piece of marine hose (double clamped both ends)
a reducing T-fitting to a 3/4" water intake to the head (just below
the waterline and double SS-hose clamped)
about a 12 inch length of double SS-hose clamped marine hose
a plastic ballcock with appropriate barbs
a short length of clamped hose going into the drain pipe (about 10
inches) of the head sink.

Methodology is as follows:

Normally, both seacock on hull and the plastic ball valve are CLOSED.

When I want to use the head, I reach into the space beneath the sink
and open the seacock. The hoses fill with water, slightly under
pressure as the entrance is about 18 inches beneath the waterline.

I use an old Brydon manual head that's about kaput, but it works for
the light duty I subject it to.

When finished, I flush to a 30 gallon holding tank.

I close the seacock.

To empty the sink, I simply open both the plastic ball valve and the
seacock. Grey water leaves the boat. I suppose a smidgen might get
into the head intake pipe, but visually, at least, this is not an
issue.

No problems in three years with this, except for a visit to the
Travelift when the seacock split due to "failure to winterize
properly" by me.

If Peggie says this is OK, feel free to swipe this "design".
Obviously, an offshore set-up would be simpler, but I flush WITH the
lake, not INTO the lake G.

R.