Bruce on horizon

Default ProFurl vs Harken roller furling, any opinions :)

The Harkin has a major design flaw that cost me a sail. They use a small
plastic piece that fits in a slot in the extrusion and this keeps the
extrusions from twisting on each other. They are held in place by tiny set
screws coated with locktite. The problem came when the screws backed out
(locktite failure because the proper color was still on the other screws
when I dismantled the furler)...this allowed the plastic piece to slide down
into the lower extrusion. This happened in 45 kt winds and big seas so when
we tried to roll in the sail, it started ripping the sail in half at that
joint. When I told Harkin about the flaw in our 1.5, they just blew me
off. I would not own a Harkin if it was given to me.
I now have two profurls that in am installing on my renovation
The Harkin might be OK for the charter and coastal boats, but I would never
go offshore with one.
For what its worth.
Bruce