Horace Brownbag

Default Head and Sink Drain

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:01:27 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Horace Brownbag wrote:
The aft sink also has a through hull directly under it, but the
plumbing from holding tank and the fore and aft heads is connected to
it.

The foreward head discharge hose runs that far aft? How long IS that
hose? Optimally, head discharge hose should not exceed 6'...'cuz that's
as far as bowl contents will move in the amount of time 99.999% spends
pumping the toilet. Significantly longer leaves waste sitting in the
hose to permeate it.

The 1/2" intake for the heads is approx 4 feet further away and I
think a bit too small to use as a drain.

Head intake and sink drain SHOULD both be 3/4". If yours is only 1/2",
it's too small for either. 4' isn't too far unless the route leaves a
sag in the hose.

I think I might try Peggy's idea of using a sump. ...the shower sump
is on the other side of the bulkhead.

It might be the best I can do...not having a first choice.

It might be time to redesign the whole system!

Thanks, Peggie. You gave me an idea....

The 1/2" inlet turns out to be 3/4". I think I'll make that the head
inlet and the sink drain.

The forward head...well, it's approx. 10 feet from the holding tank,
and I don't envision modifying it to put a holding tank within a
reasonable distance to the head....and I'm not sure I want the hassle
from the Coast Guard for having a direct discharge head...even if the
aft head goes into a holding tank, and is the only one used when we
are not out.