Hank

Default ProFurl vs Harken roller furling, any opinions :)

I've had 2 Profurl's. One a lot longer than the other. After 2 years
of solid So Pac cruising the seals in the lower unit failed and the
bearing started to be hard to turn. The bearings (2) were standard
off-the-shelf carbon steel - they rust and seize solid in salt water
after the seals fail. Make sure you can get spare seals and bearings
if you choose Profurl. Also watch out for putting the rotating
extrusions together - the s/s setscrews weld into the Al extrusions
without miracle goop.

I might buy another Profurl but only after looking at other products
and spares available. Profurl in the US were miserable assholes to
deal with from NZ.

My opinion of Harken as a co. is much higher than the Profurl
distributors in the US.

Of course, if you're a marina sailor - it won't matter.

Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:19:54 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

How does this help me decide between Harken and Profurl?

"rhys" wrote in message
.. .
I have a couple of friends who've sworn by Schaefer.

CDI seems a bit problematic, however.

Me, I am a simpleton who uses hank ons. What a Luddite. G

R.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:04:56 -0500, "Karin Conover-Lewis"
wrote:

Doug -- the Profurl NC32 on my Rawson 30 is much easier to use than the
Harken MkII was on my CT-41. Go figure, eh? ;-)