Doug Dotson

Default 12V refrigeration

The new Glacier Bay system uses a hermetic Danfoss (pretty sure
it is a Danfoss) compressor with cold plates. From what I can gather it
works very well. Can even power a 6000BTU air conditioner as well.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Now, with the basics out of the way, MHO: This is not a good idea. It
looks like the worst of both worlds. 12VDC hermetic compressors are
pretty well limited to 1/4 HP or less. That will take a looong time at
full power to freeze a decent size holding plate. Several makers of
hermetic systems do offer holding plates but strongly discourage their

use.

Skip Gundlach wrote:

I may even have it from somewhere before, but the recent conversations

on
reefers brought it to mind:

Someone on these lists built a direct drive 12V compressor for
refrigeration. My recollection has it connected to cold plates. It was
designed to do what an engine drive would do, but not run the engine.

At
the time I saw it, it was new. If they're reading, I'd be interested to

see
a report on its efficacy.

How much power did/does it take to operate? Was the size of the

compressor
notably less than one on the engine, and if so, what is the relative run
time? In the end, are you happy with the outcome? If not, or even so,

is
there anything you'd have done differently if you were doing it again?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip (and Lydia, by proxy), thinking of how to use the lovely cooling

system
on the boat without running the engine or the AC air-cooled system,

either

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com