Terry Spragg

Default Anyone ever see a non-geared oil pump?

Esourcedesigns wrote:
I have seen one engine diagram that used a non-geard pump. It used 2 figure 8
shaped lobes that were mounted perpendicular to each other. I don't remeber
what engine it was but I seem to recall it being a straight 8 for some reason.
Its anyone's guess about who made it. The book was printed sometime in the
1940's. Other pumps of this style were known for large volumes but at low
pressure. Who knows, low pressure oiling was common on early engines.

Dennis
ASE Master Auto Tech and Marine Engineer in training--but JAX believes I should

I have never seen any oil pump on any engine going back to designs around
since
the early 20th century that were not geared, except for the B&S engine which
uses a scoop on the bottom of the connecting rod cap to supply pressure oil.

genee/rickie claim non-geared oil pumps on engines are common. Anyone know
which engine designs used oil pumps that are not geared?

My atomic 2 has a piston oil pump by pushrod from cam, I think. It
uses ball bearings in drilled holes for valves, and uses two
rattling loosely in the outlet valve cavity, which also contains a
mounting screw which passes through the body and outlet channel,
retaining the two ball bearings in working position, sometimes. One
has a habit of escaping unnoticed into the front main crank journal
when the pump is removed in the normal inverted dissasembly
position. Low oil pressure results, until the engine is again
dissasembled, the vagrant ball shaken out of hiding and reassembled
in the another position.

Don't ask how I know. I will say I had no idea one ball was gone
until I finally got crazy enough to dissassemble and examine the
works again, nor was it anything other than pure genius when I
deduced it must be so after examining the evidence for about two
minutes, after the second one also dissapeared on dissassembly. On a
white sheet of paper fell out the ball of logic, as the universe
rattled around the engine block in my arms.

No, it isn't mentioned in the shop manual, a copy of which was faxed
to me by Westerbeke, for 50 bucks.

Shine on.

Terry K