rhys

Default Bolt/luff tape with Foil, or hanks?

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:41:51 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote:

Note: I am not disagreeing with the four posts that came before. I am
just adding my own perspective.

Interesting thread. From my own perspective:

I blew out a light No. 1 Genoa in 22 knots rounding a headland...don't
ask...As it was about 20 years old, I didn't really feel bad, but
cutting the leech line so the poor old thing could ease off the
spreader whilst yelling at the wife to luff the main into the
wind...now...THAT was educational.

Sailors, ALWAYS carry a knife on your person....

Anyway, that old rag isn't worth fixing unless I decide to practise
sew for kicks. So when I saw a Kevlar composite racing sail for very
few dollars, I thought...hmm, the measurements are close enough to fit
my boat as a 145% (as opposed to 153%) No. 1.

Problem was: luff tape. I am a hank-on fan until I go world cruising.
Which is not yet: I cruise Lake Ontario and I cruise like I'm racing,
with the emphasis on pointing, tuning and setting for optimum sail
power and efficiency. Makes the sundowner somehow seem...earned.

I am having the sail recut and it should be deliver this week. I
bought a Kevlar main in the same cheapo deal, so if this luff to hanks
conversion, or reversion, or whatever...works well, I will retire my
1985 main in favour of a nice light air Kevlar racing main, because we
have mostly light air here in Toronto. I'll report back to this
thread.

And yet the NOOD regatta this weekend had 25 knots WNW today. Go
figure.

R.