Armond Perretta

Default Proper flag protocol for Cat Yawl rig.

BruceHallman wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote ...
Bruce Hallman wrote:

I am ... curious of opinions about where to fly the
national emblem, US Flag. Traditionally, were should
I fly the national emblem, and club burgee?

The traditional route is the show the national ensign two thirds
up the leach of the mizzen, and to show the club burgee at the
main truck.
I don't see any reason that the burgee should _not_ go on a
pigstick at the main truck.

Thanks, Armond. Affixing the national emblem to the mizzen sheet is
a great idea.

Try to see if bungee cord will work in this application. Use it at the
bottom of the ensign, so that trimming the mizzen just stretches the bungee
while still allowing the ensign to display properly.

Pigstick is a new word to me, but I presume it is a flag staff
attached to the top truck at the head of the main sail/track. As my
boat doesn't have track, this won't work,

Yes, the pigstick is a small flagpole that is raised to the top of the mast.
It is not necessary to have a track of any sort. Just affix a single block
in a good location at the masthead, and set up a halyard. Attach one end of
the halyard to the bottom of the pigstick, and the other end of the halyard
about half way along the stick. The burgee goes at the top end. When you
tighten up on the halyard, the stick stands up straight. Hint from
experience: Make the pigstick longer than you think you will need.

BTW without a lot of "junk" at the truck as is the case on your rig, you
should be in pretty good shape.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat