Horace Brownbag

Default Head and Sink Drain

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 04:07:58 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Horace Brownbag wrote:
My center cockpit ketch had the aft sink plumbed 10 feet to a tee in
the cockpit drain. The head (MSD, blah, blah, blah) was plumbed to
the through hull directly under the aft sink.

Now, I'm trying to connect these back up...

I've a bit of a problem running the sink drain to the cockpit drain
through hull.

I think I should have a problem teeing the sink into the head through
hull....

Why? It's a great idea! In fact, several sailboat builders plumb them
that way to save a through-hull. There's also another advantage--the
ability to use the sink to flush seawater out of the whole system before
it can sit and stagnate (or after it has)...just close the seacock, fill
the sink with clean fresh water...flush. Because the thru-hull is
closed, the toilet will pull the water out of the sink, rinsing out the
intake hose and channel in the rim of the bowl as well as the discharge
hose...something that just pouring water into the bowl can't do. It does
require keeping the sink plugged when not in use, though...otherwise the
toilet will pull air through the sink, preventing the pump from priming.

I figured somebody
here would have an opinion....

Yup.

....oh, sorry, I should have been a bit more specific.. These are
drains.

Teeing the gray water from the sink, and the black water from the
head.

If the seacock were closed, and the Y valve was the wrong way, black
water would go up the sink drain.

I'd rather not do this, ...I mean, I can keep the valves turned the
right way, but it reminds me of a chicken's vent....but I'd, also,
would like to keep the cockpit drain as a cockpit drain only.

It's coming to the point where I cannot hem or haw anymore....