BruceHallman

Default Proper flag protocol for Cat Yawl rig.

Thanks, Armond. Afixing the national emblem to the mizzen sheet is a
great idea. A halyard for the mizzen seems unnecessary, as the mizzen
is only 27 SF, and the mizzen furls so easily by grabbing the clew and
rolling it up upon its leech. Rings would cause grief as the mizzen
mast doubles as a staff to support the fixed pulleys to control the
aft end of the main sail battens.

Pigstick is a new word to me, but I presume it is a flag staff
attached to the top truck at the head of the main sail/track. As my
boat doesn't have track, this won't work, [I have gaff, batten and
boom jaws.] Still, I can fly the burgee from a simple halyard run up
the mast, I suppose.

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message ...
Bruce Hallman wrote:
http://www.boatdesign.com/micro/files/navigator1.pdf

I am ... curious of opinions about where to fly the
national emblem, US Flag. Traditionally, were should
I fly the national emblem, and club burgee?

The rig has no standing rigging or spreaders. Does
the national emblem fly from the top of the mizzen
mast and the club burgee from the top of the main mast?

The traditional route is the show the national ensign two thirds up the
leach of the mizzen, and to show the club burgee at the main truck.

The location of the ensign could be a problem with the mizzen you have
described, so you may want to show the ensign at the stern rail, either on a
pole that doesn't foul the mizzen sheet, or affixed to the mizzen sheet
itself. I have seen other yawls use bungee effectively when doing this.

I don't see any reason that the burgee should _not_ go on a pigstick at the
main truck.