Peter Bennett

Default Which Software and Computer Charts?"

On 18 Jun 2004 09:33:31 -0700, (anchorlt)
wrote:

The problem, for me, are the complexity of the software and the
quality of the charts. Most software can do far more than I need or
want -- too many function buttons to go through and symbols, I find,
are often misleading. In any system's charts, in one area may be good,
but in another they are poor.

I pity the novice or near novice navigator -- and even the
"experienced" navigator. What's one to do? I would welcome any and all
reasonable, sane and simple counseling.

I use Ozi Explorer - it is not a specifically-marine program, but it
does what I want. Ozi will handle the same BSB-format charts as the
more popular marine-oriented programs, and will also handle scanned
graphics in several formats. If you can't get a digital chart for
your area, you can get a paper chart (or topo map) scanned, then
calibrate that graphic file for use as a chart.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca