Ace-high

Default Formosa 51 / Hudson Force 50 / Vagabond 47

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your uncalled for remarks.

My language is nornal - I didn't say **** at all - real cruisers say
that ocasionally. And they drink rum and eat fish
..
My advice is accurate and concise - you might not like it but most/all
of these boats are crappy - and generally a waste of cruisers money.

My attitude - well I've been there and done that - and I don't have to
call myself Salty as a front.

My next response will be more of the cruising truth.

PS - Don't buy a crappy boat and spend years and wasted dollars making
int into an expensive crappy boat. DO - buy a reasonable boat and go
cruising now - before you die choking on all this NG BS from wannabe
know-it-all but never-been cruisers.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:59:45 -0700, "Salty Bob"
wrote:

Ace-High:

Your language is atrocious.
You advice is impolite, inaccurate and unwarranted.
Your attitude is unforgivable in a news group.
Please rethink your next response before addressing posters.

Bob

"Ace-high" wrote in message
.. .
That's only if you can find a surveyor who knows his ass from a hole
in the ground - both in general and in particular about these crappy
boats - and then pay $600 to find out it's an over-priced piece of
**** that needs $55K worth of attention. What a deal.

Look somewhere else 1st and steer clear of the teaky-turds.

PS - by standing rigging I mean turnbuckles - stupid cheap buyers of
these bad boads never replace the original bad turnbuckles - and
chainplates fail when they fail - this is a waste of keystrokes -
you're obviously not a real cruiser. Read you own statements and see
if you want to buy all these potential or real problems.

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:38:25 -0500, "Karin Conover-Lewis"
wrote:

As a former owner of a CT-41, I can only say that this is the most
ridiculous statement I've read here, not directly attributable to JAX.

Yes,
some CT/Formosas were finished poorly. At worst, this means judging each

and
every boat individually. Dryrot problems in the deckhouse and other

plywood
structures (including the deck) are not at all uncommon, but a good many

of
them have been properly repaired (or even entirely rebuilt) over the

years,
and can be in very good condition indeed. The standing rigging on

virtually
all of them would have been replaced over the years (replacement of

running
rigging is a given) , and chainplates that were going to fail would have
demonstrated this problem long ago and been replaced. Even assuming the
chainplates need complete replacement, it is not a particularly costly or
difficult task. As for electrical and plumbing systems, *any* boat which

is
30-40 years old is a good candidate for improvements and upgrades to

those
systems if it hasn't already been done. Those boats should also be priced
accordingly. But this has no bearing whatsoever on the overall

seaworthiness
or seakindliness of the CT/Formosa class of boats. The hulls are
excellent -- *particularly* for blue-water cruising. I will grant that

the
tanks may well need replacement -- MAY. I would not state off-hand that

such
a statement can be applied to ALL of these boats.

In short, any of the Taiwan boats MAY be perfectly serviceable -- a

thorough
and proper marine survey should weed-out those which require more work

than
the buyer is willing to take on.