Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Protecting a musical intrument from moisture

On 9 Jun 2004 07:20:38 -0700, (Richard
Malcolm) wrote:

I am crusing for 2 weeks late July on a 41 ft Sailboat and will stop
halfway thru my trip in Bar Harbor, Me. to play drums at the Bar
Harbor jazz festival. (great to combine work and vacation). I am
wodering if any one has any ideas how I can protect my wooden snare
drum from all the moisture. I was thinking of putting it in a plastic
bag with something that absorbs moisture such as rice (like we do for
salt shakers) Any ideas? I guess I could take my metal snare instead.
thanks

Keep it in a sealed plastic bag. The humidity on a boat isn't that
much worse than humid days on land. If it really wants to be dry you
could put packets of dessicant in with it.

We have carried a clavichord on cruises along the Maine coast in our
sailboat without mishap The clavichord has had problems but not from
that.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .