Brian Whatcott

Default dead outboard?

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:02:03 -0700, "Evan Gatehouse"
wrote:

Hi,

We had been motoring from our dock for about 1/2 hour when one of our
outboards started making horrible mechanical sounds (I sort of forgot the
exact sounds because they were so alarming!). I pushed the kill button but
it took a few seconds to kill the motor, which seemed to be partially
running on oil. Oil was everywhere under the cowling and dripping into the
outboard well. Tons of oil smoke everywhere. Later trying to run the motor
proved that would idle but sounded very clanking at anything faster. I
killed it again quickly.

Does this sound like a terminal problem with a 1987 outboard (Yamaha 9.9
high thrust 4 stroke)?

Sounds like a cracked crankcase. Can come from a connecting rod
parting company with piston or crank. Invariably expensive.

Brian W