Wayne.B

Default SL Windlass Problem

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:05:56 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:
When I looked it up it was listed as a "drawn
cup roller clutch" and I'm baffled as to how it could work as a clutch. Is
there some action inside that I missing?

That was the trouble spot on my SL 1500. The part is deceptively
complex in a way that is difficult to describe. Simply put, it
changes its' configuration in reverse (paying out), to limit the
strain on the motor and smaller gears. One end of the part fits into a
machined socket in the large casting (the cup). Unfortunately it is
engineered with fine tolerances and doesn't tolerate abuse or salt
water corrosion very well. I had to play around with mine for a while
before I fully understood how it was supposed to function. In the end
I just threw in the towell and went back to SL before the warranty
expired.