DSK

Default dead outboard?

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
We had been motoring from our dock for about 1/2 hour when one of our
outboards started making horrible mechanical sounds (I sort of forgot the
exact sounds because they were so alarming!). I pushed the kill button but
it took a few seconds to kill the motor, which seemed to be partially
running on oil. Oil was everywhere under the cowling and dripping into the
outboard well. Tons of oil smoke everywhere. Later trying to run the motor
proved that would idle but sounded very clanking at anything faster. I
killed it again quickly.

If it would start & run, then it's likely not a terminal problem... the
big question is how much to fix it? The oil, smoke, clanking, and
running at idle suggest a valve guide or something in that neighborhood.

FWIW I agree with Keith, start taking it apart until you get to the
broken part(s).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King