John H[_2_] John H[_2_] is offline

Default Just for the record

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:48:20 -0500, Boating All Out wrote:

In article ,
says...

I have no problem with imprisonment for life with hard labor ... having to
earn every penny for whatever privileges or perks
available in a convicted murder's cell like TV, books whatever. Develop
work programs in the prisons that help pay for their incarceration.

Hard work never killed anyone.

I am just totally against the "eye for an eye" punishment mentality. We
consider chopping off of a hand for thievery or stoning to death for
adultery to be barbaric in other cultures. What is "un-barbaric" about a
life for a life especially when the potential exists that some are wrongly
accused and sentenced? "Oooops. Sorry about that" is a little late.

I think in many cases a tough, work laden life existence in prison with
minimal privileges could be more of a persuasive influence to prevent a
premeditated murder than a death sentence. Many are prone to committing
suicide anyway.

It's a simple fact that most of us don't want certain killers breathing
the same air as us, or society's money feeding them.
'Certain killers" means certain.
There can be no question of guilt.
And there are plenty of them.
This guy in Georgia doesn't qualify.
Peterson in California doesn't qualify.
Incontrovertible guilt isn't determined by a jury.
"Beyond reasonable doubt" isn't good enough.
A "confession" isn't good enough
Everybody knows the innocent are convicted, and falsely confess.
Use the death penalty for the John Wayne Gacys.
Use it for the 2 lowlifes who killed a man's wife and daughters up your
way.
Do you have a problem executing people like these?
Caught in the act, or by incontrovertible evidence.
The problem is that you and I know what is incontrovertible evidence.
You and I would spare a life if there was even a shadow of doubt.
You and I would never take the slightest chance of an innocent being
executed.
Prosecutors aren't you or I. They go for the death penalty too often.
If the death penalty is outlawed, it will be because the prosecutors
have with their zeal sowed the seeds of doubt.
There can be no doubt of absolute guilt when executing people.
Only fools protect evil killers from execution.
And only fools don't see the evil in executing the possibly innocent.
So it's all up to the prosecutors which way it goes.
Prosecutors are politicians.
We're ****ed.

No 'we're' not. Those deserving the death penalty are, as they should be.