LaBomba182

Default 40W oil causing wear problems over 30w?

Subject: 40W oil causing wear problems over 30w?

la bomba, you have smashed what little reputation you had left with your
question. Yet, you seem genuinely interested in the answer.

Yeah, right.

Unlike you I don't mind showing I don't know everything about everything.

Two problems exist with using a heavier than spec'd oil. first, and the
biggest problem, is pushing that cold, thick oil around upon engine startup.
It can take many seconds for pressure oil to get to the all the bearings
needing pressure oil. The thicker the oil, the more seconds it takes.

As I have said repetedly, we should not be seeing any low air temps. or engine
room temps.

Multi-weight oil was in fact expressly developed to reduce dry engine
startup's, particularly in colder weather. Original multi-weigh oils were no
over the long term as viscous as the oil they replaced, but the dry start
problem was cured. Today, most engine manufacturers recommended multi oils.
If you use a straight weight oil ***be sure*** to properly prelube the engine
before startup. Even with milti oils this ai good idea, with straight
weights
it is really important.

Many seem to disagree on the pelube issue. But I agree it can't hurt.

Second, straight weight oils that are tood supposedly can push out seals. So
have heard for decades but I never saw an engine that seemed to have lost its
seals due to anything but long use. Maybe it happens, dunno.

Never seen it.

Kinda third, heavier oils take more hp from the engine to keep itself
running.

Doubt that's much of an issue in this case.

Capt. Bill

PS, thanks for the reply. But next time could you write it before you start
drinking.