LaBomba182

Default 40W oil causing wear problems over 30w?

Subject: 40W oil causing wear problems over 30w?

(LaBomba182) wrote:

But other than the warranty concerns, I'm I missing something here?
Would using 40W over 30W in the gensets with of course changing it at the
proper number of hours and making sure that the ambient temps never get

low
really cause any long term problems?

Yes it can.

OK, how ? In what ways?

The short version:

Oil too thick = may not lubricate completely between surfaces that are closer
together, where the lighter oil is designed to flow.

Oil too thin = surfaces may make contact by forcing out lubricant.

In this case I'm still not buying it. (at least not without much better
documentation)
40W is not that much "thicker" than 30W. And this is not a high revving engine
where oil film shearing would be a problem.

And to thin an oil is not an issue here.
Capt. Bill