Brian Whatcott

Default 40W oil causing wear problems over 30w?

Here's the scoop. Mineral oil is a shape changer with temperature.
Thick as a lollypop, thin as water, depending on temperature.

If you were all fired up to reduce your stock hold, you could consider
synthetic. This has incomparably more temperature stability of
viscosity. But besides the expense, it's found to carry the
contamination less well, AND because it DOESN'T go thick as molasses
when cold, the surface run-off is greater.( Of course the initial
oil-passage fill-up and flow is much better too...)

So a synthetic and compatible mineral oil mix 3:1 would fill your
needs for a superior compatible product. Still not cheap though.

Brian W

On 12 Jun 2004 20:05:13 GMT, (LaBomba182) wrote:

OK, so I'm sitting around with the captain and his engineer friend on the new
boat I'm project managing/co-captaining and we are trying to work out how to
run the same weight oil in the engines, gensets and trannys so we only have to
fill the clean oil tank with one weight oil and not carry any extra buckets of
different weight oils with us.
The CAT engines and ZF trannys can use 40W oil as per their specs but the
Northern Lights gensets only recommend up to 30W oil. The CATs could run 30W
but only at 86 deg. ambient air temps. We will certainly be seeing higher temps
than that.
I tell the capt. and eng. that based on the ambient air temps we will be seeing
even with the Delta-T fans that if it weren't for a warranty issue I wouldn't
hesitate to use 40W oil in the gensets.
The capt. and eng. disagree. They start saying that running a heavier weight
oil could cause wear problems and make the engine work harder over time. And as
an example they compare it to what can happen if you use a heavy weight oil in
a high revving street/race car. I point out that this is a diesel not a high
revving street/race engine. They back off that point a bit but we still go
round and round in a civil fashion.
In the end we will end up putting 15-40W oil in the tank for the engines and
gensets (as per specs) and keeping some 40W in bottles for the trannys.

But other than the warranty concerns, I'm I missing something here?
Would using 40W over 30W in the gensets with of course changing it at the
proper number of hours and making sure that the ambient temps never get low
really cause any long term problems?

Capt. Bill