LaBomba182

Default 40W oil causing wear problems over 30w?

Subject: 40W oil causing wear problems over 30w?

But other than the warranty concerns, I'm I missing something here?
Would using 40W over 30W in the gensets with of course changing it at the
proper number of hours and making sure that the ambient temps never get low
really cause any long term problems?

Yes it can.

OK, how ? In what ways?

Race cars do not even remotely apply to this question. Race car
engines and transmissions only need to last for the duration of one race.

Correct. That's one reason I wasn't to taken with their using that as an
example to boost their argument.

You
are more interested in longevity.

Again can you be specific as to how 40W could shorten the longevity of a diesel
compaired to using 30W?

You started out looking for a way to do
something more conveniently. Just accept that this is one convenience that
you
will have to do without.

Looks that way.

Put the correct oil specified by the manufacturer in
each machine, and look for something else where you can cut a corner without
causing future problems.

Interestingly enough, 15-40W is spec correct for both the mains and genset.

Capt. Bill