rhys

Default GPS jamming off NC and Florida

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:15:29 -0300, "Ken Heaton"
wrote:

I just heard this on local radio so I googled it. This is what I found:

Posted 6/11/2004 5:02 PM

Military testing system designed to jam GPS signals off coast

WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) - Military officials are testing a system for jamming
signals from navigational satellites - an experiment that could disable
boaters' GPS devices and force them to rely on dead reckoning.

And this is bad how?

Did anyone else read Jimmy Cornell's column in the last Cruising World
about cruisers generally giving up paper charts for GPS only
navigation?

In the SOUTH PACIFIC?

Bah. I'm getting a sextant. Fearless Leader can't put out the
stars...yet.

Perhaps instead of busting my nuts saving up for a boat in North
America, I should just ship a RIB to Polynesia and hang around the
reefs, waiting to claim salvage on some twit's 50 foot coral setting.

Certainly would be more pleasant a wait than here.

R.