André Langevin

Default DSC position request back to Fugawi

Larry,

I just check with Nobeltec, Maptech and Fugawi and some others small
Navigation software builder and NOBODY support NMEA DSC sentences yet. So i
sold my Fugawi and bought a Garmin GPSmap172c instead.

Bye bye PC !!!

If you got a signal from DSC it might be a chartplotter not a PC with a
navigation software.

cheers
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"André Langevin" wrote in
:

My ICOM radio has the posibility to put on a GPS screen the position
of another ship (brought back by a position request signal). ICOM
has a very instructive video on the subject at:
http://www.icomamerica.com/marine/video/

Does someone know if we can do the same with Fugawi or Nobelter
navigation softwares ?

Cheers

André

Sure. Hook the Icom's NMEA output stream to your NMEA network, keeping in
mind that only ONE talker can be on a NMEA circuit, which may require you
to buy a NMEA multiplexer for all the talkers to talk to. Using Icom M802
HF/SSB and M602 VHF aboard Lionheart all connected to NMEA through a

Noland
multiplexer, here. I had the M802 scanning DSC channels while I was
checking out the NMEA network and electronics at the dock one day. I

heard
one of the chart plotters beep and went to see there was a new point on

the
chart off the French coast! The Cap'n had to go to its CD ROM for the
chart, but showed the position of the ship that had declared an emergency
on the GMDSS system (only engine room flooding...pumps were losing it).

It
was the first time I had got to see how our system reacted to an HF DSC

fix
for a real emergency.

Sure wish the boating industry would dump this stupid NMEA system with

only
one talker on a network. The industry is WAY behind reality. Just
remember that only ONE talker can be on any NMEA cable with a bunch of
listeners receiving data at a time. This keeps lots of people from

hooking
up their radio's data outputs to their systems. Very unfortunate.

Larry W4CSC
S/V Lionheart
Amel Sharki cruising ketch
WDB6254 MMSI 366920680