Brent Swain Brent Swain is offline
Member

I cruise BC waters 11months a year. Chart plotters don't show me where other boats are, nor floating debris. Only a radar can do that on a dark rainy or foggy nite. I rarely need my radar, but when I do , its a real blessing.
When I finished high school, it would have taken a years wages to buy a radar, Now it's a couple of weeks wages, less work time than it used to cost to buy a depth sounder.
Coming back to BC from Tonga a few years ago, I sailed into Ucluelet in pea soup fog. Between radar and GPS it was a carefree breeze. 20 years ago I would have had to change my shorts several times in the same situation.
The peace of mind is worth the cost ,many times over.