Ryk

Default Dripless packing injection line floods engine!

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 00:23:14 -0400, in message

rhys wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 03:22:09 -0000, Larry W4CSC
wrote:

God, and to think he replaced a perfectly great-working GREASED seal so
easy to grease with this "thing" with the bubblosity problem.

The greased seal would be a step up from my waxed flax, which I
replaced recently with teflon impregnated flax, which was a step up.

Some steps up take one so high it's a death plunge if one falls off.

What is the received wisdom on servicing packed stuffing boxes? Can
you repack without hauling?

I tightened mine a little this year to reduce the dripping, but the
shaft still turns easily by hand. I have no idea what's in there, but
there's still plenty of threads showing. The boat has been sailed in
clear fresh water, so contamination shouldn't be an issue.

Ryk