Rick & Linda Bernard

Default Dripless packing injection line floods engine!

I did not have a greased stuffing box. Confusing me with someone else.

Actually on my old boat the stuffing box failed or was failing and needed to
be replaced. I could not keep it from leaking. After a sail or two and
some normal in-out motoring there was a good leak that needed tightening.
That went on until there was no more adjustment and then I would add another
ring or two of stuffing. I had paid professionals re-stuff the box on
haulouts.

Anyway the hottest thing at the time was PSS so I installed one and it
worked fine. No leaks and no drips. I liked it. I selected the low
speed - no hose unit. But you did need to burp it.

On my current boat I use the synthetic packing. I get it at West Marine and
install it per instructions. Yes I buy the synthetic grease and apply it to
the packing, but that is a one time application not a semi-continuous one
like a grease seal. I completely restuff every 2 to 3 years on a haul out
and hand tighten the packing. The shaft turns freely in my hand. Launch
the boat and might need 1 slight tightening adjustment in the next 2 to 3
years.

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in
:

No. You need to burp it any time that an air bubble occures. A diver
cleaning the prop etc can cause the problem. I would up over burping
mine for fear of having a leaking seal due to overheating with the air
bubble. With packing you can add another ring but with PSS you need to
haul out.

I have since found out from some one on this group that an air bubble
will cause a racket (noise) from the seal. Burping after this fixed
the noise and the seal did not leak. I guess my worries were for not.

God, and to think he replaced a perfectly great-working GREASED seal so
easy to grease with this "thing" with the bubblosity problem.